Monday, October 17, 2005

Mmmm...vegemite...

I am one very happy little vegemite today. Not one, not two, but three people today commented that they thought that I had lost weight. And I didn't even have to pay them to say it! Even better, two didn't even know that I was on a diet so the hard work must be beginning to pay off, even if I'm struggling to see it myself.

You must be wondering by now whether I blew it with the birthday celebrations on the weekend? Of course I did...n't! Other than a grilled caramel and banana pancake for dessert on my birthday, I was the picture of restraint (modern art perhaps but a picture nonetheless). Steak and vegetables for the main and the small pancake indulgence for dessert. I even handed over the second pancake and half the icecream to the BF just to prove that I could. Very proud of myself I must say.

Food aside, we had a wonderful weekend in Bright. Catherine's cottage was just perfect, even better than it appeared from the website. The owners had thought of everything...wood fire, cosy lighting, beautiful toiletries and an ecletic mix of furniture and decorations that just oozed charm. We enjoyed the ambience so much that on Saturday night we decided to stay in and cook dinner and cosy up with a hot bath each, a couple of bourbons (with Diet Coke, of course) and some DVD's. Just perfect and definitely on our list of "Must Stay Again" cottages.

And then reality hit! Team birthday cake today because I wasn't at work on Friday. Cheesecake, the really gooey creamy kind!! There really wasn't any way that I could politely refuse my own birthday cake after everyone had been generous enough to donate for it. So I had a very small piece and made up for it by eating less for dinner tonight. Now I'm left wondering whether that's my stomach I can hear rumbling or whether perhaps they moved the airport flight path over the weekend?

I guess it would be fair to say that life does get in the way of good intentions sometimes. It's how you deal with it that really makes the difference. If life serves up a birthday, in the purported words of Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat cake." Who can argue with that?

No comments: