Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Battle of the wills

Good vs evil. Head vs heart. Restraint vs indulgence. Fruit vs cake.

I've come to the conclusion that any weight loss journey involves a battle of the wills...and in epic proportion. Every day there are decisions to be made about what to eat, when to eat it, how to cook it, how much exercise to compensate for it...it's never ending. Maybe that's why it's so much easier to be unhealthy. You don't really have to plan for it because it just pretty much happens. You don't have to plan for fast food or a bar of chocolate. You just buy it and eat it. Simple really!

Of course the planning does catch up with you eventally. Planning to go shopping for a bigger outfit. Planning a doctor's visit to work out what could possibly be making you tired all the time. Planning for...well, I think you know what I mean.

Last week was not a good week. I stuck to the plan and really didn't indulge other than the small birthday treat mentioned in an earlier post (all accounted for of course). The result at my weigh-in on Thursday night...only a 100 gram loss. Disheartening to say the least, but I didn't let that push me off track. I decided that I had two options: let it bother me and perhaps negatively impact my weight loss for the week ahead, or just forget about it and press on as motivated and focused as ever. Not really a hard choice, and if my unofficial morning weigh-ins are anything to go by, this week should show a better result. Bring on Thursday night!

No comments: